Faculty development institutes
Best practices in course design and teaching, focusing on online instruction
Faculty Teaching Institute – a semester-long program designed for junior faculty interested in establishing a strong foundation in teaching excellence.
Advanced Teaching Institutes are intended for faculty who have already completed one of CET’s faculty-development institutes.
Independent Review Resources for Online Teaching – access to the Accelerated Online Teaching Intensive content, self-paced, with no facilitator
Top ten resources for new faculty
- Course delivery instructional models
Hybrid Streaming Model
- Faculty Decision Chart with procedures for to handle common student situations
- Synchronous vs. Asynchronous Instruction provides guidance on which activities are best delivered synchronously or asynchronously, with helpful examples and resources
- Blackboard and Zoom help from ITS
- Learning Objectives and Bloom’s Taxonomy guide faculty in the first important step in developing an academic course
- Assignment Description Template provides a model for assignment descriptions that help students produce their best work and make grading easier.
- The First Day of Class offers guidance for planning and preparing for the start of the semester
- Syllabus Template to help guide development of your first syllabus
- Challenging Discussions covers planning and facilitating classroom discussions, including potentially-difficult topics
- Active-Learning Facilitation lays out important considerations for effectively leading learning experiences
*For general information on getting started as a new USC faculty member, see the Provost Office’s Getting Set Up as an USC Employee.
Overview of CET services for faculty
We are here for you throughout your teaching journey at USC!
Schedule a consultation with CET.
USC ITS (Information Technology Services) provides advice and consultation assistance with educational technologies Blackboard and Zoom. For Blackboard assistance, email email@example.com. For Zoom, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stay connected with CET
CET Newsletter for the latest information