The USC Center for Excellence in Teaching (CET) announces the Virtual New Faculty Institute, a faculty development program for faculty who are located at HSC or one of our other campuses or are part-time. It is open to all faculty, though the program is designed for junior faculty interested in establishing a strong foundation in teaching excellence. The Virtual New Faculty Institute will provide new faculty an opportunity to connect with colleagues to foster collaboration and community building within and across disciplines. The virtual institute is the same curriculum as the onground New Faculty Institute.
The institute comprises nine modules, completed asynchronously in Blackboard. Each module consists of instructional content with a related work product submission and feedback from peers and facilitators. Due dates for the submissions and reviews are scheduled throughout the academic year. A certificate of completion will be given to those who complete seven of the nine modules, and can be used as evidence of teaching development activity in performance reviews.
Registration for this institute is closed
The Virtual New Faculty Institute will provide a forum for new faculty to connect with a cohort of colleagues to foster collaboration and community building within and across disciplines.
The workshops are designed to provide faculty:
- Essential models for teaching and learning in higher education
- Approaches to fostering an inclusive learning environment
- Practical pedagogical techniques and strategies that strengthen learning
- Evidence-based best practices for course design & classroom management
- Opportunities for collaborative practice of effective teaching methods
A sampling of specific workshop topics include:
- Designing effective courses, assignments, and assessments to meet learning objectives
- Incorporating active learning in all courses
- Maximizing student motivation
- Best practices in use of educational technology
- Efficient and effective grading practices