Assessment of Teaching and Learning
Etymology of the word: Assessment
"To assess" derives from the Latin verb "assidere", to sit by (originally, as an assistant-judge in the context of taxes). Hence, in "assessment of learning" we "sit with the learner", and that implies that it is something that we do with and for our students rather than to them.
The word "assessment" has a variety of meanings within higher education (e.g., “institutional assessment”, “curricular and program assessment”, “course and learner-centered assessment"). Therefore, for the purposes of this resource guide “assessment” is considered as the systematic collection and analysis of information to improve student lifelong learning. One Definition of "Assessment of Learning" in Higher Education:
"Assessment is the process of gathering and discussing information from multiple and diverse sources in order to develop a deep understanding of what students know, understand, and can do with their knowledge as a result of their educational experiences; the process culminates when assessment results are used to improve subsequent learning." (Huba, M. E. and Freed, J. E. (2000). Learner-Centered Assessment on College Campuses -- Shifting the Focus from Teaching to Learning. Boston, Allyn and Bacon.
We address a variety of issues related to successful student and program assessment including what may be assessed and how to assess. We conclude by leading a discussion on the development of a supportive classroom environment, the encouragement of active and intentional learning, and the importance of reflecting on one's teaching.
Event last offered
"Assessment Tools for Your Course" - Professor Danielle Mihram, September 13, 2007, 1-3 PM, Leavey Auditorium
- Assessing Problem Solving, Sept 07, Danielle Mihram (PDF)
- Assessment Bibliography, Sept 07, Danielle Mihram (PDF)
- Assessment Tools, Sept 07, Danielle Mihram (PowerPoint)
- Assessment, May 07, Danielle Mihram (.pdf)
- Assessment, Oct 05, Bill McComas (video)
- Assessment, Oct 05, Bill McComas (.pdf)
- Assessment Overview, Sept 04, Bill McComas (video)
Megasite on Assessment: Internet Resources for Higher Education Outcomes Assessment, NC State. Includes
- General Resources
- Assessment handbooks
- Assessment of specific skills or content
- Individual institution’s assessment-related pages (alphabetical listing)
- Accrediting bodies
- Student Assessment of courses and faculty
- Deliberations on Teaching and Learning in Higher Education
An international website on issues of learning and teaching for the higher education community (Includes "Assessment" as a resource).
- Practical Assessment Research & Evaluation
A peer-reviewed online journal. ("Evaluation" is used synonymously with "Assessment")