Eligibility for the Awards
Current full-time tenure and full-time non-tenure track faculty with at least six years of service at USC
Criteria for the Awards
The criteria listed below are key criteria to be considered. The list is not complete: it is intended as a device to assist candidates in the preparation of their application for the award.
The award committee will seek indicators of teaching excellence as evidenced by:
- Especially high intellectual standards in terms of content, rigor, and integration of the best scholarship
- Depth of concern for the subject; evidence of scholarly and pedagogical growth as new knowledge is discovered and new classroom technology is produced
- Effective and inspiring links between scholarship and teaching particularly in the undergraduate curriculum
- Extremely effective teaching strategies that encourage students to participate in the teaching-learning process, including (but not limited to) innovative uses of technology and/or multi-media to enhance student learning, both in and out of the classroom.
- Measures of breadth and/or depth of impact on students' intellectual development, including graduate students and postdoctoral fellows.
- Unusual effort to ensure a rich learning experience.
- Methods of assessment of student learning and achievement that go beyond student evaluations.
- Contributions to the improvement of the quality of teaching within the university through assistance and encouragement of other faculty.
- Other extraordinary, unique, or pioneering contributions to excellence in teaching.