Presenting Conference Papers/Presentation Skills
Communication skills are extremely important in professional life, and are often the key element in hiring and promotion decisions. Even so, remarkably little emphasis is placed on the development of communication ability in undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs. In this first half of this workshop, we will focus on how to conceive, construct, and deliver outstanding formal oral presentations, including the critical components of every presentation, the development of effective presentation materials, the optimal sequencing of slides, and tips on delivery. The techniques presented in this workshop apply to a wide range of presentations, including graduate qualifying exam thesis proposals, departmental seminars, thesis defenses, conference presentations, and job interview seminars. In the second half of the workshop, volunteers from the audience will present short (10 minute) summaries of their research work, and will receive extensive feedback on the structure and delivery of their presentations.
- The Art of Scientific Presentations, April 2015 (video), Armand R. Tanguay, Jr.
- Strategies fro the 21st Centruy Classroom: Innovative Presentation Techniques, Sept 2011 (video), Bryce Lowery & David Li
- The Art of Scientific Presentations by Armand Tanguay, April 2015 (pdf)
- Oral Presentation of Term Research Projects (pdf) by Armand Tanguay
- Presentation at Conferences (PowerPoint) by Judy Garner
- How to Give Successful Presentations: A Five-Step Process (pdf) by Danielle Mihram
- Presenting Conference Papers (video), Heather James & Alison Renteln (Oct 03)
- ENAR Guidelines for Preparing Effective Presentations
- Chronicle of Higher Education: How to Stand & Deliver