New Faculty Institute
The USC Center for Excellence in Teaching (CET) announces the New Faculty Institute, a faculty development program open to all faculty. The program is designed for junior faculty interested in aligning their work with the university’s new strategic plan, where teaching excellence is developed in all faculty.
The New Faculty Institute is comprised of a series of eight monthly working lunches that include interactive workshops. Participants can select from either a Wednesday or Thursday lunch series. Fall 2018 meeting dates are below. Spring 2019 meeting dates will be released in December.
Sign ups for both Fall 2018-Spring 2019 cohorts have closed.
Wednesday Cohort, meeting 12:00 noon-1:30 pm
Wednesday, August 29
Wednesday, September 26
Wednesday, October 10
Wednesday, November 7
Thursday Cohort, meeting 12:30-2:00 pm
Thursday, August 30
Thursday, September 27
Thursday, October 11
Thursday, November 8
The New Faculty Institute will provide a forum for new faculty to connect with a cohort of colleagues to foster collaboration and community building within and across disciplines.
The workshops are designed to provide faculty:
- Essential models for teaching and learning in higher education
- Approaches to fostering an inclusive learning environment
- Practical pedagogical techniques and strategies that strengthen learning
- Evidence-based best practices for course design & classroom management
- Opportunities for collaborative practice of effective teaching methods
A sampling of specific workshop topics include:
- Designing effective courses, assignments, and assessments to meet learning objectives
- Incorporating active learning in all courses
- Maximizing student motivation
- Best practices in use of educational technology
- Efficient and effective grading practices