Associates Award for Excellence in Teaching: Criteria for Awards
Criteria for the Awards
Eligibility for the Associates Award includes all faculty with at least six years of teaching service at USC. Nominations by a school, department, or colleague are encouraged (self-nominations are not accepted). The award committee will seek indicators of teaching excellence as evidenced by:
- High intellectual standards reflected in content, rigor, and course materials.
- Currency in the field; evidence of scholarly and pedagogical growth as new knowledge is discovered, and new classroom technology is produced.
- Exposure of students to scholarship and research in the field, particularly in the undergraduate curriculum.
- Teaching strategies that encourage student participation in the teaching-learning process, including (but not limited to) service-learning, active learning strategies, innovative uses of technology/multimedia that enhance student learning.
- Incorporation of teaching strategies that foster inclusive educational experiences.
- Measures of breadth and/or depth of impact on students’ intellectual development, such as student placements, co-publications/presentations, a pattern of student awards.
- Unusual effort to ensure a rich learning experience, including highly impactful exercises or experiences, exposure to leaders in the field, project-based learning that results in significant change in policy, community experience, access, etc.
- Methods of assessment of student learning and achievement that go beyond student evaluations.
- Contributions to the improvement of the quality of teaching within the university through training or mentoring of other faculty.
- Other extraordinary, unique, or pioneering contributions to excellence in teaching.
* The list is not complete: it is intended to assist those preparing nominations
Fatal error: Call to undefined function have_rows() in /nfs/c12/h01/mnt/215063/domains/cet.usc.edu/html/cet/wp-content/themes/vanilla-child/page-column-left.php on line 23