Criteria for the Awards
- Current faculty with at least six years of service at USC
- The award committee will seek indicators of teaching excellence as evidenced by:
- Especially high intellectual standards in terms of content, rigor, and integration of the best scholarship
- Depth of concern for the subject; evidence of scholarly and pedagogical growth as new knowledge is discovered and new classroom technology is produced
- Effective and inspiring links between scholarship and teaching particularly in the undergraduate curriculum
- Extremely effective teaching strategies that encourage students to participate in the teaching-learning process, including (but not limited to) innovative uses of technology and/or multi-media to enhance student learning, both in and out of the classroom.
- Measures of breadth and/or depth of impact on students’ intellectual development, including graduate students and postdoctoral fellows.
- Unusual effort to ensure a rich learning experience.
- Methods of assessment of student learning and achievement that go beyond student evaluations.
- Contributions to the improvement of the quality of teaching within the university through assistance and encouragement of other faculty.
- Other extraordinary, unique, or pioneering contributions to excellence in teaching.*
* The list is not complete: it is intended as a device to assist candidates in the preparation of their application for the award.