Vision, Mission, and Strategy
USC’s 2018 strategic plan maps out a dynamic path through the 21st Century “that reaffirms the importance of teaching and mentoring in the context of a research university.” It calls for an inclusive spirit where educational experiences are enhanced through the examination of diverse perspectives and applications. It advocates for a convergent spirit where students are taught how to see problems and solutions from multiple points of view and across disciplines. And it champions an entrepreneurial spirit where students are guided toward innovation and creative approaches to solving complex problems, many of which play out in our own Megacity of Los Angeles. CET serves as a central resource for the university in bringing this vision into reality.
The Center for Excellence in Teaching (CET) promotes a vibrant culture of teaching and learning for the university community, for schools, and for faculty by:
- Ensuring that USC’s core values and strategic priorities are reflected in the university’s teaching mission.
- Serving as a resource for developing, evaluating, and rewarding teaching excellence.
- Providing best practices in instruction and course design.
Ensuring that USC’s core values and strategic priorities are reflected in the university’s teaching mission.
CET serves as a resource for the university community by:
- Consulting on policies that elevate the status of teaching so that pedagogical best practices are a required component of academic achievement.
- Developing culturally responsive and evidence-based training for teaching.
- Supporting the cultivation of inclusive curricula and classroom environments, where diverse perspectives are both respected and challenged.
- Providing guidance on establishing and sustaining interdisciplinary approaches to education that lead to a convergence of knowledge and training.
- Offering support in incorporating civic engagement into curricula, leveraging Los Angeles in particular as a rich training ground for applying course content to real world challenges.
- Providing guidance on distinguished teaching honors, hosting teaching conferences, administering innovation grants, and seeding transformational teaching programs.
Serving as a resource for developing, evaluating, and rewarding teaching excellence.
CET serves as a resource for schools by:
- Providing assistance in establishing school-based plans for advancing teaching.
- Consulting on school-based teaching development, evaluation, and reward infrastructure and resources.
- Training Faculty Fellows who will facilitate teaching development cohorts within their schools.
Providing best practices in instruction and course design.
CET serves as a resource for faculty and future faculty by:
- Providing foundational principles of inclusive teaching, learning, and best pedagogical practices through training and resource distribution.
- Training and supporting new and future faculty as they establish their pedagogical practices.
- Offering private consultation and training opportunities.